Our History

Our story begins with a lighthouse keeper by the name of John William Thomas.  In the winter of 1893, Thomas was working on the lighthouse at Wolf Trap when the Chesapeake Bay was frozen from shore to shore.  The raging winter storm swept away the lighthouse, and many feared that he had lost his life.

Miraculously, however, Thomas had found shelter across the ice on a tugboat, also trapped in the frozen waters of the bay, about 300 yards from the lighthouse.

From the tugboat, Mr. Thomas managed to make the treacherous journey across the frozen bay, finally landing at Windmill Point.  Here he stayed with his aunt, Ella White, the mother of Gilbert White.

Before Thomas’ arrival to the area, the Union Sunday School was held in a small chapel known as Union Hall on the property of Mr. Jacob Andrew Simmons.  The roof of the building, which dated back before the Civil War, fell in during the winter of 1886.  As Thomas was a man of true faith and dedicated to God, he saw a need and set to work organizing a regular Sunday School from which emerged Asbury United Methodist Church. 

He was familiar with the task, as he had founded a Sunday School in his hometown of New Point (Matthews County) around 1883, from which emerged Beulah United Methodist Church. 

On May 14, 1896, the land on which the Church sits today was conveyed from Mr. W.G. Foxwell to S. P Simmons, J. F. Bellows, T.B. Treakle, H. W. Newbill, G. W. Sanders, and W. C. Treakle for the consideration of $1.00.

When the sanctuary was constructed Asbury was on the circuit with White Stone, Irvington and Kilmarnock churches.  Worship services were held two Sundays a month.  In 1969, the Virginia conference divided the White Stone circuit, with Irvington and Kilmarnock forming one circuit and Asbury was joining with White Stone Wesley Chapel and Ocran Chapel. 

In 1995, the Virginia conference made White Stone a station and Asbury became a station.  After 99 years, Asbury was on its own.  Rev. William Roberts was appointed pastor and served one year.

During the pastorate of Rev. John T. Scarborough (1946-1953), Sunday School rooms and a small kitchen were added to the back of the sanctuary.  A hardwood floor was laid in the sanctuary, the pews were refinished and carpet was donated by Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Sullivan.

During the pastorate of Rev. Thomas Oder, (2000-2005), another addition was added to the west side of the original addition, increasing the space for Sunday School and other meetings, as well as storage with two large closets.  A large number of other improvements we made during his pastorate, such as refinishing the hardwood floors, refinishing the alter railings, purchasing new pews, erecting a new sign, purchasing a new digital piano, applying new siding to the Church’s exterior, and enlarging the parking lot.  The addition and improvements were paid in full at completion by two wonderful benefactors, Marjorie Smith, and Martha Bowen, as well as the hard work of many of our members and friends.

The United Methodist Women of Asbury Church have always been very active in the life and work of the church through the years.  At one time there was an active group called the Parsonage Society.  Recently the women have formed a prayer shawl ministry to knit and crochet shawls which are distributed to members of the church or community in need of special prayers.  Ove the years the church has had many active youth groups, such as the Rosebud Society.  Some of the members of Asbury have joined forces with the men of White Stone Church to form an active and effective United Methodist Men’s organization.

Many memorial gifts have added to the beauty of Asbury, including the original pulpit Bible (given in memory of Walter W. White of the Baltimore Conference), the stained-glass windows, the stained-glass pulpit picture, the cross and candle holders, and flags.

During the pastorate of Rev. Ray Massie new hymnals were purchased, many of which were given in honor or memory of loved ones.  The table in the narthex were made by Michael Haynie and given in honor of his father, Manuel Haynie.

Those who have served as organist for our church include Irene Davis, Sally Fitchett, Georgie McCarthy, Lila Rose, Jackie S. Harcum, Iantha Moore (1920-1986), Barbara Craig, Sharon Christopher, Mindy Revere, Brenda Burtner, and our current pianist Beth Cornwell.

The earliest records of the Sunday Scholl date back to 1917.  Those who have served as Sunday School Superintendents are Joe Davis, W.G. Foxwell, A.L. Treakle, Mrs. H.F. Ingrham, Florence George, Phillip Somers, Lacy Rose Sr., Dorothy Schools and Henry George.

In April of 2011, on the eve of Palm Sunday, tragedy struck:  Asbury was struck by a tornado.  That storm twisted the sanctuary, the original 1896 structure, buckling the steeple, and damaging the roof as well as some stained-glass windows.  But with vision and ingenuity of a structural engineer, the local building inspector, a great local contractor, and with lots of prayers from members and friends, the sanctuary was gently, slowly urged back into place. Repairs were completed within four months, and in August 2011, the “condemned” signs were removed form the doors and the members were able to return to worship in the sanctuary.

Through the near disaster from the tornado, and its aftermath, the faith and dedication of our members did not waiver.  It was through the faith and dedication of a lighthouse keeper caught in the midst of another near disaster that Asbury United Methodist Church was founded.  Through the efforts of John William Thomas a new community of light was established in the world.  Today in 2022 we who are left have come to honor the memory and dedication of all Asbury United Methodist members who’s tireless efforts proclaimed the Light of Gods’ Son and brought faith and love to those in this community.